I have been having lots of fun trying recipes lately. Of course when I find some really good ones I should share them. so here are 3 that are very tasty.
Grain and Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes:
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired. Lightly oil griddle and preheat to medium. Ladle onto griddle and cook 2-4 minutes per side or until brown.
I didn't have butter milk so I used skim and a little vinegar and it worked great. This have such good flavor that I don't even put butter on them. I also love to top them with the following recipe, but maple syrup is great too.
Strawberry Syrup:
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 cups mashed unsweetened strawberries
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Gradually add strawberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.
If you want the syrup to be a little thicker you can boil it longer or add a little corn starch. You can also use any fruit you want.
Alright now onto the recipe that I love. I first had these lovely little bites in Virginia. I worked with a wonderful lady that loved to bake and cook for us. She would bring in delicious southern foods with all her southern charm.
Sweet Potato Biscuits:
3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes*
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
Mix potatoes, butter and brown sugar until well blended. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir baking soda into buttermilk until dissolved and add to potato and flour mixture all at once. Stir all together until well blended.
Turn onto floured surface and knead 6-8 times on floured surface, adding additional flour to surface as needed (dough will be very sticky at first, but as you knead it will all come together). roll out to 1/2 inch and cut with biscuit cutter (dip cutter in flour to keep it from getting too sticky). Be careful not to add too much flour.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12-20 minutes depending on the size of the biscuit. Be careful not to over bake. Serve with thinly sliced country ham and mustard or top with orange marmalade or apricot jam. Makes 18+ biscuits depending on size.
I like making the biscuits about 2 inches diameter. They are a perfect bite size to pair with something else for a meal or to take somewhere.
I hope that if you try these you enjoy them as much as we do. Now on to other things because Fluff does not let us rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment