Sunday, September 18, 2011

bananas and spinach

Not together of course, that would be, well just gross. I was trying to find a way to use up the frozen spinach I had and found the following recipe on http://www.snack-girl.com/:

Spinach pancakes:

Spinach Healthycake Recipe

(makes 7 small pancakes)
1/2 pound frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup whole grain flour (wheat, oat, barley, etc.)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg
1 cup low-fat milk (or any level of fat milk you own)
non-stick spray
optional ingredients:
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
3 scallions chopped
Thaw spinach in microwave and then place in fine mesh sieve. Using the back of a spoon press out the water in the spinach.
Add dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix. Add egg and milk, mix until smooth and then stir in spinach. Add optional ingredients.
Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Place a soup ladle full of batter on the pan and cook until the wet side of pancake bubbles (about 3 minutes). Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until brown.

I'd like to try it with some garlic and onion. I made mine with the optional ingredients and ate them with some sliced turkey and cheddar cheese melted on top. next time I'm going to use them like a biscuit for an egg and bacon sandwich. I was very surprised that the spinach flavor didn't overwhelm. I don't think I could really taste the spinach at all. So for a savory pancake this is a good way too go.

OK, now onto the banana. I love my savory, but love my sweets better. I was looking at ice cream recipes and ran across this one on http://www.sparkrecipes.com/.

Banana Ice Cream (Raw food)

Submitted by: OILSANDTEA
This is a wonderful, easy, very tasty dessert or snack!

Ingredients:
2- medium sized bananas - almost too ripe

Directions: Cut peeled bananas in 2 inch chunks and place in freezer bag. Seal and allow to freeze for at least 24 hours. Remove from freezer, set on counter for 10-15 minutes and then whiz in food processor until smooth. I added a little vanilla. Tastes like soft-serve ice cream!
I was very surprised that the consistency was just like soft serve ice cream and we ate it right away. You could freeze it for later if you want it thicker. You do have to make sure that you let the bananas thaw a bit or it doesn't blend up easily and you'd then have to add a little milk to help it along. I used my magic bullet or would have used the blender. I also added 1/4 teaspoon vanilla but would add 1/2 teaspoon. Next time I'm going to try adding other frozen fruits, peanut butter or chocolate for different flavors.

So hope you try these and enjoy them as much as I did. I will try to find some more fun unexpectedly good recipes and share them soon.

1 comment:

  1. lesa. i love how you try out all these recipes. i'm definately giving that ice cream a try!

    ReplyDelete